The Human Brain...
The biologist and nobel laureate Gerald Edelman points that the number of possible neural circuits in the brain are 10 followed by a million zeros. In comparison the number of particles in the known universe is estimated to be only 10 followed by 79 zeros.
A handfull of peole in the world have a condition we call hyperthymesia. It is a rare brain condition where a person can recall every day in their life in full accuracy and visualize it all like watching color picture or a video clip. They are not necessarily born with that condition. It was triggered just by something that happened to them.
Facts and/or assumtions to be facts today:
- The brain alone is a mindless up to three (four?) part organ that has protected the survival of its host for hundred of millions of years relayed to it by such sensors like vision, hearing, smell, taste, and touch and feel. It learns from mistakes, creates its own mind that then controll the body far beyond the primitive survival traits, eating and reproduction.
- Some suspect that a new sensor using the fourth part in our brain is in making. This sensor would likely be based on magnetic or perhaps other still unknown radiaton fields and it could lead to some level of premonition. Birds, bees and perhaps fish have used magnetic fields to navigate for hundreds of millions years already. Magnetic sensor is not important for the land animals like we humans. Vikings disovered loadstone, the life saving tool and compass to navigate acuurately the often foggy Nordic seas.
- The brain is the only organ in the human body that lacks nerves in normal sense despite the fact that it acts as the commander for the central nervous system.
- The brain consumes 20% of all energy we use despite the represents only 2% of the total body weight. It also has the priority to all energy that is available to the body.
- The number of neurons present in the brain is approximately 100 billion which is about 15 times of the total human population on earth.
- The human brain is regarded as the fattest organ in the human body. About 60% of the human brain is comprised of fat which is the highest concentration of fat that is present in a single organ in a healthy human being. Furthermore, 75% of the total brain mass is comprised of water which regulates various functions in the brain.
- The neocortex is the portion of the human brain that is responsible for language and consciousness. It makes up approximately 76% of the human brain and making it the largest when compared to that in other animals.
- It is believed by many that, human beings use less than 10% of their brain. This is a misconception because each and every part of the brain has a known function. During early pregnancy, neurons have shown to multiply at a rate of 250,000 neurons per minute
- About 15-20% (750ml) of the total cardiac output is directed to the brain every minute. The energy consumed by the brain which is approximately 25 watts is sufficient enough to illuminate a light bulb.
- The human brain is not as perfect as it is thought of since in many instances it has been found to fool human beings making them to perceive things differently from the reality.